Governance of Metropolitan Transport, a synthesis by Måns Lönnroth
This publication presents a synthesis of five commissioned papers on the governance of metropolitan transport in Western Europe, Australia, Canada and the US, plus the governance of Bus Rapid Transport (BRT) in Latin America, India and Sub-Saharan Africa.
This essay is an attempt to develop concepts for understanding governance of metropolitan transport in countries that are, or aspire to be, modern and democratic, with professional public administrations and the rule of law. Some 20 countries are discussed, some in more detail than others.
The aim is to provide the VREF with an initial understanding of WHY metropolitan transport systems are shaped as they are, and HOW they could be improved, in line with the foundations' newly emerged thematic initiative on governance of metropolitan transport.
This paper is based on four sources:
1. Five specially-commissioned background papers on governance of metropolitan transport that will be within short available on the VREF website.
2. A large number of VREF Centre of Excellence (CoE) findings and projects that deal wholly or partially with governance issues
3. Idiosyncratic readings of comparative literature in political science on political order and on quality of government, as well as literature recommended by knowledgeable transport experts within the VREF network.
4. A series of interviews with knowledgeable persons from practice and academia.
The publication does not contain references but has for target to stimulate through credible arguments deeper academical studies.
The pdf-version of the synthesis dissemination is also available in the column beside and is now completed by the 5 papers related to this synthesis:
Invitation to submit an Expression of interest Pdf, 457 kB.
Deadline: 1 October 2022
Call for Project Proposals Pdf, 402.9 kB.
Deadline: 15 September 2022
- Fourth Call for Research Proposals Pdf, 1.3 MB.
Closed: 1 September 2022
- Catalysing Curriculum Change at Universities in SSA 2022 Pdf, 1.3 MB.
Deadline extended to 1 Nov. 2022
Deadline: 31 October 2022
MOBILITY GRANT 2022- MAC-MG 2022 Pdf, 447.1 kB.
Deadline: 31 October 2022
Blog! Blog! Blog!
This Meeting of the Minds' blog monthly releases interviews of global transportation researchers from the VREF's Future Urban Transport Program Network.
This CityFix series, produced by the WRI (World Ressources Institute) Ross Center for Sustainable Cities and supported by the VREF, discusses walking and cycling in cities with a special focus on low- and middle-income countries.
The Volvo Research and Educational Foundations (VREF) inspires, initiates and supports research and educational activities through the Future Urban Transport Programme - How to deal with the complexity of urban transport (FUT).
Our Vision: Sustainable transport for equitable access in urban areas